I'm a sucker for gadgets, even for ones that are more gimmicky than practical. Though I came across something today which I think a lot of people would find useful.
It's a wireless USB to VGA adaptor. You can sit up to 30 feet away with your laptop or pc and stream a video, music or even just your desktop to your television.
Here are the specs :
- Connect to a VGA display wirelessly from your PC up to 30 ft. away across the room
- Eliminate the long and unattractive cable runs
- Extend your PC desktop or clone the same content to a remote display
- Up to 720p video streaming from your desktop or laptop (max range 15 ft.)
- Support resolutions up to UXGA (1600 x 1200 pixels) or WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050 pixels)
- Easy host selection to switch to another PC* for different video content
- Certified Wireless USB 1.0 compliant
- WiMedia 1.0 MAC and 1.1 PHY compliant
Only problem is this device currently costs $229 USD, a bit expensive for most people. I'm sure the price will come down on this in the next year or so.
Though it would great to see this technology integrated into laptops and TV's over the next 5 years i.e. allow laptops to send data wirelessly to televisions and develop televisions which can detect this data and display it. Perhaps even with HD quality?
Until then, we will need to keep those long ass cables hanging around.